|Goal: To achieve an optimum acoustic environment in a home studio, which requires careful attention to sound isolation and the interior acoustic environment of the studio.|
- Ideal sound isolation is achieved with massive construction, an airspace and elimination of any structural connections that may transmit sound. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to properly isolate sound when building a studio in an existing residence, mainly because of the common lightweight, wood frame construction and the presence of windows (it’s important to fill windows with materials comparable to the rest of the wall). For new construction, you should specify walls with a high STC. An appropriate STC for a home studio depends on the specific activities taking place within the studio. Most likely, it would require an STC of 60 or more. Although STC is a good rating for speech frequency, it does not consider the low frequency sounds.
- Achieving the optimum interior acoustic environment involves protecting the studio from noise (noise within the space and noise transmitted into the space) and controlling the reflections within the space.
- Assuming all transmitted noise is controlled, the primary noise concern is from the HVAC system (heating, ventilation and air-conditioning). All mechanical equipment must be controlled to a very quiet level (NC 15-20).
- It is not necessary to cover every surface in the studio with a sound absorbing material. This would create an acoustically “dead” environment with too much bass sound. To create the optimum acoustic environment, a balance of absorption and diffusion should be considered. There are several commercially manufactured products for both absorption and diffusion. It is recommended to consult an acoustical expert in order to obtain specifics on particular products as well as determine the amount and placement of such products within the specific studio setting.
- Note: Absorption and diffusion materials only help the interior acoustic environment and do not help with isolation.
by Dr.ibrahim elnoshokaty